Meal Prep Delivery

Monday, February 7, 2022

How to Restore a Vintage Console Stereo

There are four phases to this furniture restoration project.

Phase 1: Fix Cosmetic Damage (Steps 1 through 6)

When I found this vintage console stereo, it was in rough shape. The legs had broken through the particleboard bottom. So first I had to attach a new plywood base, fill the chips and nicks, hide water damage and address other cosmetic work.

Phase 2: Rebuild The Front Panel (Steps 7 through 14)

The center panel needed to be covered in place. I chose a four-way bookmatch pattern with sequence-matched leaves of figured sapele veneer.

The speaker cloth was faded, so I replaced it with classic black ($18 per yard, parts-express.com) and designed new slats to lay over the top.

Phase 3: Make New Legs (Steps 15 and 16)

I chose sapele for the new legs because it was a good match for the veneer on the front panel. Sapele looks like mahogany and is similar to work with, but often has a pronounced ribbon figure, which I love. I found pre-milled 6/4 sapele at a local lumberyard.

Phase 4: Final Touches (Steps 17 and 18)

I finished the console and update the audio components for modern functionality and high quality sound.

Fit a New Bottom Panel

  • To start, attach a new plywood base.
  • I predrilled 16 holes in 1/4-in. Baltic birch plywood and spread the glue evenly with a glue spreader.
  • Then I screwed the plywood to the old bottom with 3/4-in. wood screws.
    • Pro tip: I did this step first because the console had to be upside down, and I needed to repair the top later anyway.

Console Stereo Fh22mar 616 51 025



Article source here: How to Restore a Vintage Console Stereo

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Best Mini Chainsaws, Tested and Reviewed

PAMELA BONDURANT/FAMILY HANDYMAN Shop on Home Depot Best Overall Mini Chainsaw Dewalt Cordless Battery Powered Chainsaw Shop on...