Meal Prep Delivery

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The Eleven Percent: Spotlight on Women in the Trades

Judaline Cassidy

Judaline Cassidy, Plumber

When Judaline Cassidy set her sights on a trade school education in her home country of Trinidad and Tobago, the not-quite-five-foot-tall young woman first had to convince the instructor she could hack it as a plumber.

“I literally dropped down and was doing push-ups and saying, ‘I got this!’ ” she says. “And that’s how I got accepted into the program.”

After school, Cassidy moved to New York City, where she worked as a nanny, housekeeper and personal shopper. Once she dug into plumbing, she quickly excelled, becoming one of the first women accepted into Plumbers Local No. 371 on Staten Island.

Twenty-five years later, she is still passionate about the trade and her union while mastering her craft for the New York City Housing Authority.

“Jobs don’t have genders and the trades can be your ticket from poverty to middle class. Plumbing did that for me. I grew up not loving myself, not having any self-confidence. But when I picked up a tool, it changed the way I viewed myself and how great I was. It’s empowering.”

Read the full feature about Cassidy here.



Article source here: The Eleven Percent: Spotlight on Women in the Trades

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Best Mini Chainsaws, Tested and Reviewed

PAMELA BONDURANT/FAMILY HANDYMAN Shop on Home Depot Best Overall Mini Chainsaw Dewalt Cordless Battery Powered Chainsaw Shop on...