Meal Prep Delivery

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

I Tried the EGO Cordless Two-Stage Snow Blower and I’m Sold on this Snow Clearing Beast

Some of us love winter and some of us not so much. Regardless of your preference for the white stuff that falls from the sky, there’s a chore that most of us will agree is less than desirableclearing snow from paths, sidewalks and driveways. If you’re like me, you see the snow and think, “I’ll bang out that snow clearing in oh, say, 20 minutes.” Then 45 minutes later you’re still at it while the snow is sticking to the shovel, your back is hurting and often more snow is falling. Fear not snow-clearing warriors, help is on the way. Read on for my EGO snow blower review.

The EGO Cordless Snow Blower is a 56v cordless snow blower with a large and powerful 24-inch clearing width. This snow blower stands alone in a crowd of battery-powered blowers. It’s just as capable as most high-end gasoline-powered blowers with all the bells and whistles. Those of you who have only used gasoline-powered two-stage blowers, prepare to have your mind blown.

What is the EGO snow blower?

A women blowing snow with Ego Cordless Two Stage Snow BlowerPamela Bondurant/Family Handman

Of all the cordless snow blowers I’ve tested in 2024, the EGO snow blower is the only two-stage snow blower, meaning that instead of only using a plastic auger that touches the ground to remove the snow, an impeller adds the second stage to throw the snow without the metal auger touching the ground. The two-stage features enable it to perform not only on paved surfaces but on gravel and dirt as well. In addition to accommodating more surfaces, two-stage blowers can clear deeper snow. Since they are often self-propelled, they can take on steep inclines.

The device sports standard EGO green and I have to say it is cool looking for a snow blower. A high-tech dashboard is at the helm and evokes thoughts of video games or maybe a tool that I would control with a remote. Before we take it for a spin, let’s look at its features.

We Tried It

EGO Cordless Snow Blower

This snow blower features variable speed self-propel and auger and brushless motors for quieter operation and longer life.

EGO Snow Blower Features

Batteries of the Ego Snow Blower

You can use any combination of one or two ARC Lithium 56v batteries typically ranging from 7.5 Ah to 12 Ah on the EGO blower. Use just one battery if you need to charge the other but ideally use both batteries and maximize your snow blowing. The battery charger is a rapid charger that allowed me to charge two 56v-10 Ah batteries in under two hours! The ARC Lithium technology protects the battery from shock, overheating, the weather and more. Don’t forget that all lithium batteries have operating temperature ranges and must be charged indoors or in a heated garage.

This EGO’s dashboard looks like an airplane cockpit and despite all the controls, is simple to figure out how to use. Everything is adjustable from the dashboard.

  • Variable speed auger control to adjust blowing distance
  • Variable speed self-propel forward and reverse
  • Chute rotation and angle
  • Heated hand grips
  • Left and right turn controls
  • Upper and lower deck headlights

With a replaceable scraper bar, skid shoes, shear pins, wheels and augers, the machine is geared for both residential and commercial use. The five-year warranty even covers commercial use of this machine’s intended longevity. Plus, the 24-inch clearing path shows that it’s meant to be used alongside or instead of gasoline-powered snow blowers.

How We Tested It

Ego Snow Blower on pallet

I put the EGO through a regimen of tests designed just for cordless snow blowers. Testing included battery charge time, battery run time, assembly, maneuverability and, of course, lots of snow-blowing. I tested the machine on several surfaces and paid extra close attention to its clearing ability and ability to throw different types of snow.

First off, I want to note that this machine, if shipped, is likely going to arrive by freight instead of a standard delivery business. This was not an issue at all because the machine was so easy to unpack and put together. It was even easier than a smaller, lighter machine that comes by standard delivery since lifting the machine and bits and parts out of a box was unnecessary. Instead, the packing material was easily removed from the shipping pallet leaving the machine accessible, and once assembled, you just “drive” it off.

Dirt and Gravel Driveway

It’s a two-stage snow blower so it’s able to clear gravel and dirt driveways. I put it to the test on my lengthy dirt and gravel driveway that just happened to be covered in about a foot of snow. The first thing I noticed was how far I could throw the snow. EGO states that the machine can throw 50 feet and while I didn’t measure the distance, that sounds about right. It was pretty fun to watch. Had I wanted to, I think I could have moved all my snow onto my neighbor’s property. Luckily, the adjustable auger allowed me to take it down to a more practical throwing distance for the job I was working on.

The knobby tires and the self-propelling mechanism made this snow blower glide through the snow and even through the wet, boggy and icy parts. A simple one-handed operation puts the machine into reverse when you reach a dead end and can’t turn. And speaking of turning the left and right turn controls worked well despite hardly needing them since this machine is lighter and more maneuverable than a gasoline-powered snow blower.

Battery and Hand Warmers

The batteries were still over 50% capacity after clearing my 100-foot driveway, part of another driveway and the entire street in front of my house, all while running both the upper and lower headlights with the heated hand grips on full throttle. There is one part of me that I find impossible to keep warm despite my best efforts and that is my hands. I gave a small eye roll filled with pessimism when I activated the hand warmers and after 45 minutes of snow blowing, I was still blowing snow with my gloves removed and my hands were perfectly comfortable. Who knew!?

After playing around in the snow banks that I had created with the blowerclimbing them like I was driving an off-road vehicleI had completely exhausted my snow resources and had to call it a day. I cleaned off the machine and “parked” it in the garage noticing that it was much smaller than a gasoline-powered machine.

Pros

  • Powerful
  • Extended Run Time
  • Quiet
  • Multiple Amp Hour Battery Options
  • Great for Large Properties and Commercial Use
  • Sturdy
  • Lightweight
  • Long Warranty
  • Useful Features

Cons

  • Expensive
  • Overkill for Some Users

FAQ

Are electric snow blowers any good?

Besides their ample snow-clearing power, electric snow blowers are emissions-free, plus they’re quieter than gas blowers and require less maintenance (not to mention gas). That’s what our EGO snow blower review and reviews of more than a dozen other electric snow blowers over the last two years found.

How much should I spend on a snow blower?

While a snow blower costs anywhere from $100 to almost $10,000, most homeowners will pay between $250 and $2,000, but it depends on the type you want and need. Power shovels are an economical option for some assisted shoveling while areas with heavy snow might need a large gas three-stage machine for regular clearing.

Is a battery-powered snow blower worth it?

Yes. Battery-powered snow blowers do work well enough to clean snow from large areas without hitching or getting stuck. The only trouble you may run into is having a battery run out of power in the middle of a job depending on the size of the space you’re clearing.

How do I choose an electric snow blower?

Single-stage blowers work for walkways and smaller driveways. If your driveway is over 60 feet long, choose a two or three-stage snow blower.

What snow depth can a snow blower handle?

Single-stage and two-stage snow blowers are great for up to a foot of snow.

What Other Reviewers Had to Say

“Eats Wet Heavy Snow So Easily!! Its A Beast!” says verified purchaser Charles V. on EGO. “This snow blower is a monster!!! It ate the 31-inch snowbank of heavy wet snow!”

Stephen M. Bradley writes in his Amazon review, “I am frankly amazed by the power that this thing can put out being run by two batteries. Although enormous batteries. Plows through the snow as advertised, throwing it as far as I could ask.”

Five-star reviewer, Jim Miller says, “This is so easy to set up and run. It does everything that EGO says it will do. Much easier to use than my old gas-powered one ever was. It seems lightweight but works great. No fumes blowing back in your face. Glad I purchased it.”

Product Comparison

The dashboard of the Ego Snow Blower Pamela Bondurant/Family Handman

I have much to say about the EGO snow blower when comparing it to other blowers. First of all, there’s no comparison between this blower and say, a single-stage blower. The 56v EGO two-stage snow blower is designed for big snow and big jobs and it moves big snow easily. If I were to compare it to gasoline-powered snow blowers, I would pick this blower over my gas blowers every day of the week. It of course starts on the first try, doesn’t require me to keep gasoline on hand, is much lighter than my gasoline-powered machine, is quiet and looks super high-tech (and is!).

Final Verdict

I 100% recommend the EGO cordless snow blower for both big and small jobs. It’s a joy to work with and is meant to last a lifetime. There won’t be a storm you can’t handle with this blower. It will make you the envy of your neighbors and you’ll be grateful for the peace of mind and extra time you’ll have to enjoy winter’s wonders.

Where to Buy the EGO Cordless Snow Blower

We Tried It

EGO Cordless Snow Blower

This snow blower delivers the power and performance of gas without the noise, fuss and fumes. Get the job done quickly and handle even the deepest snow.

Find the EGO snow blower on Amazon, Walmart, or Ace for between $1800 and $2200. Let it be your go-to companion for combatting winter chores, keeping your life and path clear and ready to take on new challenges.



Article source here: I Tried the EGO Cordless Two-Stage Snow Blower and I’m Sold on this Snow Clearing Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Best Mini Chainsaws, Tested and Reviewed

PAMELA BONDURANT/FAMILY HANDYMAN Shop on Home Depot Best Overall Mini Chainsaw Dewalt Cordless Battery Powered Chainsaw Shop on...