Here on Tool Trials, we’re always looking for the latest and greatest tools so we can put them to the test. I’ve tried electric screwdrivers before— in my experience, they’re usually flimsy tools that are more of a novelty than a necessity. So when I saw that Bosch offers a premium electric screwdriver with plenty of features and a hefty price tag, I knew it was the perfect candidate for some further testing.
The appeal of an electric screwdriver is easy to understand- the power of a drill in the palm of your hand. Sure, you’re never going to assemble a deck with one, but for small, quick household applications, a hand tool like the Bosch Go electric screwdriver could quickly become a go-to. At the same time, though, traditional screwdrivers are a classic for a reason, which begs the question: Do you really need an automatic version of a tool you probably already have three too many of?
Bosch GO 3 Professional
A compact cordless screwdriver with adjustable torque and push-and-go operation for fast, precise screwdriving in wood, metal, and plastic.
The Tool On Trial
So what’s so special about the Bosch GO 3? Well, as I mentioned above, I’ve tried out a few electric screwdrivers in my life. Most of the time, they’ve felt cheap and haven’t held up to repeated use.
That is not a problem for this electric screwdriver from Bosch. It’s a quality tool with a sturdy build that feels good in your hand. It comes in a simple case with a small selection of screwdriver tips, an extender bit and a USB-C cord for charging. Basically, it’s an 8-in-1 screwdriver and comes with everything you’d get buying one of those.
The difference, of course, is that this screwdriver comes with a motor. It’s got seven torque settings, so you can theoretically use it in a wide range of applications without worrying about stripping out a screw.
The Trial: How I Tested It
But here’s the question: do all those features actually make this electric screwdriver better than the standard version? To answer, I decided to put two tools to a head-to-head test so I could see just how much of an advantage this $80 screwdriver could give.
Here’s what I did. First, I needed to find something with a lot of screws in it. I had an old TV lying around that I’d been meaning to take apart and recycle. And this thing was covered in screws, making it perfect for my purposes.
So, I laid the TV down on my coffee table and set up the test. I’d use a normal screwdriver on one side of the TV, and the BOSCH electric screwdriver on the other. By comparing how much time it took to remove each set of screws, I’d have a direct comparison point between the two tools… and a clear look at whether or not electric is actually worth it.
View this post on Instagram
The Verdict
The results were clear. While the traditional screwdriver held up fine and did its job, the electric screwdriver clearly offers an advantage. I was able to remove the screws from that side of the TV in a fraction of the time it took me to do it manually— just over 10 seconds compared to 20 seconds with the traditional tool.
It wasn’t just about the lack of elbow grease required, though. The entire operation was smoother: you just press the drill bit into the screw and it does all the work for you, and the magnetic tip makes it easy to pick up screws as you remove them.
So it’s clearly just flat-out faster than the standard screwdriver. But what about the convenience factor? Well, I spent some time using the tool outside of the TV test, and I can attest that the BOSCH 3 is everything you want in a screwdriver. It’s small enough that you can carry it around without any issues. It fits in a tool bag better than a drill while handling many of the same applications. I recently moved, and having this tool on hand made disassembling and reassembling furniture way easier than it had any right to be.
The only cons I ran into are the need to charge the battery, which can be hard to monitor. Also, the included USB-C cable is a bit small, making it a little inconvenient to use. Other than those small gripes, I’ve had a great experience testing this BOSCH GO 3 screwdriver and definitely give it the Tool Trials stamp of approval.
Where to Buy the Bosch GO 3 Professional
Bosch GO 3 Professional
A compact cordless screwdriver with adjustable torque and push-and-go operation for fast, precise screwdriving in wood, metal, and plastic.
The BOSCH GO 3 Professional Screwdriver costs around $80-90 and can be purchased through Amazon or wherever BOSCH tools are sold.
Bosch GO 3 Professional
A compact cordless screwdriver with adjustable torque and push-and-go operation for fast, precise screwdriving in wood, metal, and plastic.
The post Tool Trials: How Much Faster Is An Electric Screwdriver, Really? appeared first on Family Handyman.
Article source here: Tool Trials: How Much Faster Is An Electric Screwdriver, Really?


No comments:
Post a Comment