A few years ago, I got a call from clients who had bought an original Sea Ranch condominium designed by renowned architect Charles Moore. They asked me to rebuild a twin Murphy bed closet to fit a full-size bed—without changing the footprint or straying from Moore’s original design.
I demoed the closet’s original 2×4 framing and replaced the sides with 3/4-in. plywood, but I was worried about structural integrity, so I came up with a few methods of reinforcement. I installed a 3/4-in. plywood floor, toe-kick, 2×4 bracing and a small header box to conceal lighting.

Black powder–coated aluminum L-brackets along the bottom of the cabinet strengthened the sides. Adding felt feet on the doors allowed the floor to support their weight, alleviating stress on the left wall. I also glued solid wood edging on the doors and closet sides to provide a strong connection for the brass screws that hold the piano hinges.
Given the room’s high sun exposure, I rubbed Osmo UV-Protection Oil on all the panels before installation. The warm, natural finish matched the rest of the Douglas fir millwork in the house.
The post Lee Buchanan’s Murphy Bed Build Shows Big Ideas Can Fit into Small Spaces appeared first on Family Handyman.
Article source here: Lee Buchanan’s Murphy Bed Build Shows Big Ideas Can Fit into Small Spaces
No comments:
Post a Comment