Meal Prep Delivery

Monday, July 29, 2024

How To Sew: The Basics

I was in the first grade when I got my first sewing machine. While my mother worked on matching Christmas outfits for my sister and me, I used her scraps of fabric to make doll clothes and tiny heart pillows. I think about how teaching this skill is part of my familys traditionpassed down from generation to generation, much like my great-great grandmothers rocking chair now sitting in my bedroom. Its a link to the past and those that came before us. I think about the Great Depression, when my great-grandmother made dresses from flour sack fabric so my grandmother would have something pretty and new to wear, and how they mended clothes because they couldnt just buy something new whenever they wanted. I think of my grandfather, who learned to mend clothes and sew on buttons during the war and took such good care of his machine that it still works today. And while much of our clothing is no longer handmade, in this age of affordable but always-revolving fashion, sewing still allows me to mend the clothes that I love and revitalize clothes I no longer wear by adding some creativity.

It gives me great pleasure to share this knowledge with you. So, lets explore how to use a sewing machine and how to mend a hole in your clothes.

The Machine

To begin, note that each sewing machine can be a bit different. With a price range of $80 to over $2000, sewing machines can be basic, while others have some technical gadgetry and are made for heavy-duty sewing, like upholstery repair and leather. Whichever you purchase, it will be important to learn the specifics of that model by reviewing the manual that comes with your specific machine.

On average, all basic machines have similar parts and thread similarly. In this example, we are using a Brother LX3817 Sewing Machine that is on the lower end of cost. This basic machine might not have all the bells and whistles, but it should allow you to do a basic stitch for sewing clothing, darning holes, and to use a zigzag stitch for sewing on a patch. You really dont need to purchase an expensive machine if you are just getting startedjust make sure that you dont purchase something that is so cheap it doesnt work very well and you end up getting frustrated.

Once you have your machine, lets set it up!

Parts of a Sewing machine

Parts Of A Sewing Machine

Setting up a sewing machine

Put the machine on a sturdy table wide enough to arrange some of your tools and fabric. I like to take over the kitchen table; just make sure the maple syrup is cleaned up from breakfast.

Plug the pedal into the machine and the machine into the wall.

Setting Up A Sewing Machine



Article source here: How To Sew: The Basics

No comments:

Post a Comment

Billy Goat Leaf Vacuum Review

Crisp air, pumpkin spice, apple cider and brightly colored foliage are synonymous with Fall. What’s not to love? Well, if you’re a homeowner...