Meal Prep Delivery

Monday, July 22, 2024

How To Make a Living Wall

Plants add a wonderful element to any living environment. Only recently did I start to consider growing plants in anything other than pots, on the floor or sitting on a side table near a window. I love my plants and wanted to find a creative way to incorporate them into an indoor space. As I researched ideas and options, I found living walls are all the rage and very much on trend.

The more I pondered making a living wall, the more I realized I have some specific things I want to incorporate into it. I want my living wall to be modular so I can change and rearrange it as my indoor plants grow. I want to water my living wall plants/pots in place, and I don’t want to pull out a ladder whenever I want to reach the top layer. I want my living wall to have a glowing essence. And I want to make my living wall big.

This means adding a drip system and accent lighting and truly filling up a wall space. This living wall combines functionality, visual stimulation and an easy DIY approach to making it a reality. The only secret is to have fun and feel free to make your own decisions to customize it your way.

Cutting List

Overall dimensions: 66″w x 66″t x 6-1/2″d

KEY QTY. PART DIMENSIONS
A 18 Box top and bottoms 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 18″
B 18 Box sides 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 16-1/2″
C 31 Box slats 3/4″ x 1-1/2″ x 16-1/2″
D 9 Box cleats 3/4″ x 1-15/16″ x 16-1/2″*
E 9 Wall cleats 3/4″ x 1″ x 16″*
F 5 Planter face 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 18″
G 2 Shadow box top/bottom 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 57″
H 2 Shadow box side 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 55-1/2″
J 4 Frame pieces 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 66″**
K 1 Cleat support top 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 35″
L 2 Cleat support side 3/4″ x 5-1/2″ x 3-5/8″
M 2 Frame cleats 3/4″ x 1-1/2″ x 33-1/2″*

Note: This cutting list is specific to our wall, which had two vertical slats, two horizontal slats, and five planter boxes.
* – One edge ripped at 30.
** – With 45 miters at each end.

Pre-stain and cut

Before cutting all the boards to the sizes listed on the cut list, stain the boards for parts A, B, C, D, F, G, H, and J ahead of time. The advantage of doing this is that it will be easier just to touch up the stain after the unit has been put together, and you will not have to cut into tight spaces with a paintbrush and rag, which could leave lap marks. Let the stain dry overnight, and cut all your pieces the following morning.

How To Make A Living Wall Pre-stain and cut



Article source here: How To Make a Living Wall

No comments:

Post a Comment

Billy Goat Leaf Vacuum Review

Crisp air, pumpkin spice, apple cider and brightly colored foliage are synonymous with Fall. What’s not to love? Well, if you’re a homeowner...