Meal Prep Delivery

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Space-Saver Vacuum Storage Bags Saved My Life While Moving

Whether you bought new bedding and need to stow away your old comforter, or you’re getting ready to move like I am, space-saver bags are going to be your best friend.

While I planned on donating items from my closet that I no longer wear before the big move, I was still left with more clothes to move than I planned on. Plus, packing clothes for a move can be tricky. Putting clothes into boxes doesn’t seem like the most economical choice, and zip-tying hangers together (regrettably, I’ve done this before) inevitably results in a mess. Space-saver bags, however, will do what the name suggests and save you space before, during and after your move. They’ll also protect your clothes and other textiles in an airtight, waterproof bag. My only regret is that I didn’t buy more.

What are space-saver bags? 

Space Saver Bags

Space-saver bags are vacuum storage bags that reduce the volume of your clothes, towels, bedding and more by 80% while keeping them protected in an airtight and watertight seal. They save space while packing for a move and putting away items in closet storage, and they also maximize luggage space while traveling. They’re especially useful for shrinking large, bulky fabrics, like comforters, quilts, coats and towels.

These bags come in a range of sizes, from small bags for traveling to medium and large bags for storing clothes to jumbo bags for bedding and pillows. There are even hanging bags if you’re determined to move clothes while keeping them on the hanger or just want to compress a portion of your wardrobe that’s out of season. Whatever size option you decide to go with, your space-saving purchase comes with everything you need to do the job: the bags, zippers to seal the bags and a hand pump to remove the air once the bags are packed and sealed.

Shop Now

How to Use Space-Saver Bags

When it comes to using space-saver bags, all you have to do is spread out the bag, open the zip fastener and pack the bag with whatever textiles you want to store. After the bag is packed to the stop line, firmly slide the zipper along the edge of the bag to seal it, twist off the cap on the bag and place the pump (or a vacuum hose) over the sealing valve to remove air. Once all the air is removed, quickly twist the cap back onto the valve to keep air from leaking to create an airtight seal.

Having used another brand of vacuum storage bags once previously, I was surprised by how much better the quality is of this specific one from Amazon. The plastic is thick, so you don’t have to worry about puncturing the bag while filling, and the zipper seal at the top of the bag feels sturdy and secure.

I used the jumbo-size bags, and I was able to fit two whole baskets of laundry (and then some) into one bag! I used another bag to pack a thick comforter, and I still had leftover room for sheets. My favorite part was watching the air leave the bag and the textiles literally shrink before my eyes—talk about satisfying. What I was able to fit in just one jumbo bag would have filled a medium- to large-size moving box. I also like that I can organize separate clothes based on season and style per bag, and see what’s in each bag because they’re clear.

I plan to use the other bags to pack throw pillows, as those are other awkward items to box up and often get dirty during a move if left unprotected. If you’re someone who switches out throw pillows and blankets for different holidays and seasons, the space-saver bags are ideal for keeping seasonal textiles safe and out of the way while not in use.

While my six-pack of jumbo space-saver bags did come with a hand pump to remove the air, the bags were so large that it was much easier and faster to use a vacuum hose to suck out all the air. It also seems like a vacuum removes air from the corners and edges of the bag more efficiently than the hand pump. If you’re working with smaller space-saver bags or don’t have access to a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment, then the pump works just fine.

The Best Amazon User Reviews

With more than 47,000 five-star ratings on Amazon, the jumbo space-saver bags are in high demand. Here’s what buyers had to say about the vacuum storage bags.

“I hate having to check a bag for flights, so I like to travel with a carry-on suitcase, which can be a little tricky when the weather is colder,” writes five-star reviewer, Chloe Rock. “Anyway, I ended up buying these to help flatten my clothes. I’ve tried the ‘rolling’ technique and the storage cubes, but I was trying to up my packing game. Without the storage bags, I had an overflowing half-suitcase. Once I put my stuff in the bags (I bought the small bags), I had room for even more stuff on top!”

Verified purchaser, Sarah Wuest, says, “These things are HUGE. I was able to fit a comforter and a sheet set in one. In another I packed all of our summer stuff—swimsuits, coverups and like 10 beach towels. They haven’t lost any suction yet, and they’ve allowed us a LOT more space in our hall closet. I think next time I’ll buy one size smaller.”

“I’m moving in a few months but packing little by little, staring with bedding and clothes I don’t use daily. I’ve used four bags over the last week and, so far, they have stayed flat/not leaking,” shares Mary Meyers, another five-star reviewer. “I spent more money on these than I wanted to, but see no point in spending less on an inferior product. I’ve tried other brands and these are the best in my experience.”

Where to Buy Space-Saver Bags

Space Saver Bags

Space-saver bags range in price from about $20 to $50, depending on what size option you go with and how many bags are included. A six-pack of jumbo-size space-saver bags retails on Amazon for just $25. There’s a variety pack of space-saver bags that include a range of sizes if you’re not sure what size you might need, or you want to vacuum back everything from washcloths to a king-size comforter.

If you’re moving, these are a must-have for clothes, linens and bedding. I cannot stress enough how much packing space they saved me while protecting my beloved Sunday Citizen comforter from the elements—and the grime of the moving truck.

Shop Now

Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.



Article source here: Space-Saver Vacuum Storage Bags Saved My Life While Moving

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Best Mini Chainsaws, Tested and Reviewed

PAMELA BONDURANT/FAMILY HANDYMAN Shop on Home Depot Best Overall Mini Chainsaw Dewalt Cordless Battery Powered Chainsaw Shop on...