Meal Prep Delivery

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

I Tried Merrell’s Latest Water Shoes, and They’re Better Than Crocs

If you’re spending your free time boating, gardening, swimming or the like this summer (and plan to into the fall), you’ll need rubber or foam shoes that are comfy, easy to clean and work on all different types of terrain. Croc-like shoes, whether in the form of clogs or slides, are everywhere—and Merrell’s Hydro Moc is a version of the slip-ons made of water-friendly ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) foam.

Let’s just say we’re kind of obsessed with these all-terrain water shoes. For starters, you can wear them without socks near water or with socks on the trail or at the gym. If you’re like me and hesitant to buy Crocs (for various reasons), these shoes are, in my opinion, a step up from the trendy rubber shoe. Keep reading, and I’ll explain why.

What is the Merrell Hydro Moc?

Merrell Hydro Mocs on stones

The Hydro Moc is a perforated, slip-on foam shoe with a strap that can be worn on top of the shoes or at the back (around the heels) in what I like to call “sport mode.” While you don’t see the Hydro Moc as frequently as Crocs or Yeezys, they do resemble shoes from the two popular footwear brands. However, I think the Hydro Moc looks sleeker on the feet and has a more comfortable, ergonomic design than most other foam and rubber shoes.

The quick-drying, water-friendly Hydro Moc is ideal for hiking and kayaking, but with renewed interest in rubber and foam slip-ons, the water shoes have become somewhat of a streetwear trend, too. They’re supportive, airy, breathable, lightweight and more.

Shop Now

Merrell Hydro Moc Features

The lightweight, performance slip-ons provide cushion at the soles of your feet and are available in both women’s and men’s sizes, as well as a range of colors from neutral tones to tie-dye patterns. There’s no lacing system on the Hydro Moc, so there’s no way to tighten or loosen it (see the Hydro Moc AT Cage 1TRL if you’re interested in a model with lacing) apart from wearing socks.

I typically wear a women’s size 10 (or 9.5, depending on the shoe), and I ordered the Hydro Moc in a women’s 10. While there is a little room to slide around, I find that the shoes fit well with the strap at the back or with socks. If you’re someone who likes your water shoes snug, I would recommend sizing down, especially if you’re in between sizes.

I like how lightweight the Hydro Moc is for packing purposes and wearing near water, In fact, it feels like you’re not wearing anything at all! Each shoe weighs less than 8 ounces, and the new Hydro Moc is made with Bloom foam, which is an eco-friendly foam comprised of 10% algae.

How We Tested Them

Merrell Hydro Mocs walking into water

I was pumped when the Merrell Hydro Moc arrived at my door just before my summer fishing trip to Roaring River State Park. I wore them in and around the river, on rocky terrain and pavement, through grass and by the pool where I stayed. They did not disappoint.

These water shoes are comfy, and I love the way they’re slightly tapered toward the center and back of the shoe while being a bit wider around the toes. I never feel like my toes are getting smashed, and I can still wiggle them in the water.

I also love that I can wear them everywhere without worrying about dirtying them or scuffing them. The foam slip-ons are incredibly easy to clean and wipe down—even the white pair! I like that water doesn’t collect in or adhere to the shoes. Water rolls right off the Hydro Moc, so I could step into the river and then walk a little way down to scout a new fishing spot and my feet would be dry by the time I landed.

I tend to prefer wearing my Hydro Mocs without socks, especially around water, to keep my feet dry and feel a little airflow on my feet. However, if I were going to wear them in an area without water, I would wear them with socks to prevent sweating and slippage—though I find slippage to be minimal without socks.

The comfort lasts for hours, too. I didn’t notice any blistering or discomfort while wearing the Hydro Moc outdoors for hours at a time while on my fishing trip. As far as styling goes, I often wear mine with athleisure clothes. I think they look best with athletic shorts or leggings, but I’ve seen people rock them out and about with casual, non-athletic fits, too.

Pros

  • Slip-on style with heel strap for more secure fit
  • Made of EVA foam with cushiony sole
  • Ergonomic feel
  • Weighs just 8 ounces
  • Water-friendly
  • Vegan-friendly
  • Eco-friendly
  • Durable
  • Affordable
  • Available in women’s and men’s sizes
  • Neutral and bold color options

Cons

  • Not available in half sizes
  • May let in debris through perforated top, but easy to clean

FAQ

Merrell Hydro Mocs in grass

What is the purpose of the Merrell Hydro Moc?

Hydro Mocs are made to work in and around water, as the name suggests, but the comfy slip-ons can be worn for the gym, taking the dog out and as gardening shoes, too. They’re non-absorbent, lightweight and breathable, so they make for a smart casual shoe on most terrains.

Are Hydro Mocs worth it?

We think so! For the price point and the quality, we think the Hydro Moc makes for a solid water shoe. They’re also durable, so don’t be surprised if they last you season after season.

What Other Reviewers Had to Say

With nearly 2,000 reviews and a 4.5-star average rating on Amazon alone, it’s safe to say people are loving the Merrell water shoes as much as we are.

Verified purchaser, Sally Foster, says, “These are absolutely the best shoes ever!!! Very comfortable and great for your feet. I work in the healthcare industry and am on my feet 10 to 12 hours a day and my feet feel great at the end of a long shift. Buy them! You will not regret it!!!”

Chaniel Dennis, a five-star reviewer, says the Hydro Moc is exactly what she needed. “Take a size down,” she suggests. “I’m glad I did. It fits perfectly. Lightweight, cute, comfortable. I love that it looks exactly like the picture. The quality is amazing.”

Verified buyer, Meredith McTague, calls them a great alternative to Crocs. “Love Crocs? Hate the price? These are for you! Get the same breathable comfort for way less,” she writes. “These also offer a bit more stability on the heel while still being easy to put on and take off. The strap can be worn on the front or flipped to back. They have [a] very vibrant color.”

Final Verdict

If you’re looking for lightweight, breathable slip-on shoes that will function in and around water, the Hydro Moc is unbeatable. (And if you’re looking for a cooler alternative to Crocs, these are it.) Best of all? You can snag them at a reasonable price point.

Where to Buy Merrell Hydro Moc

Fhm Ecomm Womens Hydro Moc Via Merrell.com

The Hydro Moc retails from $45 to $60 on the Merrell site. You can also shop them on Amazon (sometimes for a lower price and different color options). However, we recommend going directly to Merrell for the most accurate shopping experience when it comes to sizing and color.

Wherever you decide to shop the Hydro Moc, we’re sure you’re going to love these water shoes as much as we do. They’re a solid value, and you’ll probably find them replacing your favorite slides and slip-ons by the time summer is over.

Shop Now

Shop smarter with our expert recommendations for tools, gear and money-saving deals on can’t miss DIY and home products. Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.



Article source here: I Tried Merrell’s Latest Water Shoes, and They’re Better Than Crocs

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Best Mini Chainsaws, Tested and Reviewed

PAMELA BONDURANT/FAMILY HANDYMAN Shop on Home Depot Best Overall Mini Chainsaw Dewalt Cordless Battery Powered Chainsaw Shop on...