Meal Prep Delivery

Saturday, March 16, 2024

How to Make a Clothes Rack on Wheels

I am guilty of having way too many jackets, hats and shoes. When I went looking to purchase a ready-made clothing rack, my options were not very attractive and seemed flimsy. So I then turned down the road of wanting to build a clothing rack. Whenever I go about wanting to make anything, I consider both form and function. Basically, what is it going to look like and what is it going to do?

When designing my own ideal DIY clothing rack, I had important criteria when it comes to function. First, the rack had to be sturdy and strong, with a variety of options for clothes storage. Second, I would like to easily move it around when necessary. And third, I wanted it to look good. These three criteria narrowed down my materials to industrial pipe and wood with a few wheels or casters.

Now to put them all together.

I love the industrial look of plumbing pipe. Plus, not many other choices would make a stronger clothing rack. I started by drawing out what I wanted the rack to look like. That meant deciding exactly how many rods for hanging clothes and shelves for shoes I wanted. As I broke that decision down, it occurred to me: I could make my clothing rack two-sided. That way, when I didn’t want the clothes to show, I could flip it around and just have two shelves showing.

Here is the easy step-by-step process I ended up following. This is a beginner level woodworking project because the only cuts you will need to make are with the 1×2 trim- the plywood sheet you can purchase already cut. This is a perfect place to start for carpentry 101. This project is more about putting the pieces together than crafting intricate angles.

Cutting List

KEY QTY. PART DIMENSIONS
A 1 Support wall 3/4″ x 48″ x 72″
B 1 Base 3/4″ x 48″ x 23-1/2″
C 2 Side base trim 3/4″ x 1-1/2″ x 23-1/2″
D 2 Front and back base trim 3/4″ x 1-1/2″ x 49-1/2″
E 2 Side trim 3/4″ x 1-1/2″ x 72-1/2″
F 1 Top of wall trim 3/4″ x 1-1/2″ x 49-1/2″
G 2 Flange support rails 3/4″ x 3-1/2″ x 70-1/2″
H 4 Caster blocks 3/4″ x 4″ x 4″
J 3 Wood shelves 1-1/2″ x 11-1/4″ x 4o”

Author’s note: I have given an accurate count of the materials you will need for this specific configuration if you want to change something, be sure to test it before hand.

Assemble the plumbing fittings for the front wall

Before you even begin cutting any wood, I highly suggest you put together all your pipe fittings. Doing this will ensure you have the right couplers in place and allow you to accurately determine the measurements for the support wall (A) and base (B). This will set the course for the rest of the build.

I put together the whole plumbing configuration on a table. That way when it came time to screw it to the base and support wall (A), I simply moved it into place and screwed it in. By doing this first, you can confirm the size you want for the base (B) and the support wall (A) and you’ll have most of the figuring out done right away.

Note: I did not add any adhesive to my threads but you may choose to do so.

How To Make A Clothes Rack On Wheels Assemble the plumbing fittings for the front wall



Article source here: How to Make a Clothes Rack on Wheels

No comments:

Post a Comment

5 Best Mini Chainsaws, Tested and Reviewed

PAMELA BONDURANT/FAMILY HANDYMAN Shop on Home Depot Best Overall Mini Chainsaw Dewalt Cordless Battery Powered Chainsaw Shop on...